Thursday 30 May 2013

Exegesis

For my final project in Asian Cybercultures, I decided to create this blog. This blog began focusing on remix culture and how Japanese commercials have influenced the popular internet culture of memes and GIFs. This blog aims to communicate the theory that we (as a society) live in a remix culture and many cultural and lifestyle areas are governed by remix. What I have discovered in my research, is that memes and GIFs are a part of remix culture. I chose to look at remix culture through these trendy communication platforms because they huge part of the online world. 

Memes and GIFs (and remix culture in general) are able to be enjoyed all over the world because most don't include a language or cultural differences. But I found they all have one thing in common, satire. 

I find it hard to comprehend how some Japanese advertisements would help to sell the product as they seem so bazaar and unrelatable. But research has revealed that the Japanese consumers this campaign is directed at, identify with the advertisement’s mood and tone, rather than the content. The ad makes them feel happy and that's why it works. The same can be said for the many remixes that have evolved from the original content. GIF's and memes make us happy which is able to cross cultural boundaries and that’s why they work. 

The foundation for many of my blogs are Japanese commercials. I enjoyed incorporating advertising (which is my major) and asian cybercultures to create a better understanding. Having never done blogs before I found writing in an informal way difficult, and I often think my ideas were lost. I would of liked to expand my ideas and thinking even more, if it weren't for time restraints. But overall I am pleased I pushed myself to try something completely different and have enjoyed the course because of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment