Thursday 30 May 2013

My Meme Addiction

I have joined the throng, been sucked in with the masses. So I’m going to declare it loud and proud (well maybe not proud – I’m not that evolved yet): I am a meme addict. I can lose hours looking at memes on poplar websites such as 9gag. I charge through cyberspace; seeking gratification one meme before quickly flinging myself with abandon to the next. Clearly I have no shame. I’ll get my giggles where I can. And then I move on.


For the uninitiated, let me, I mean, Christian Bauckhage explain: “Internet memes are phenomena that rapidly gain popularity or notoriety on the Internet. Often, modifications or spoofs add to the profile of the original idea thus turning it into a phenomenon that transgresses social and cultural boundaries” (Christian Bauckhage).

Put more succinctly, a meme uses the idea of remix culture to create something new with a new meaning. But it’s not only laughter or titillation the meme seeks. According to the Urban Dictionary, “A 'meme' doesn't have to be funny, provocative or even make sense."

Most memes fall into one of three categories:

•       Quirky stuff that isn't funny but mildly entertaining;
•       Pathetic stuff that fills you with vicarious despair; and
•       Revolting pictures that could be presented to some alien jury as evidence that humanity is cancer.”

Hmm, doesn’t sound so attractive when put like that so how is it that I, and thousands of other procrastinating, antisocial young students like me from around the globe, are able to enjoy (or at least be mildly stimulated by) the same joke? What is about memes that enables them to cross cultures and overcome language barriers so successfully? Is it simply that most people understand (and appreciate) satire? Is that the secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment